Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Check-In"

The Cousins

When was your most recent life changing moment?

For me, today was one of those moments. This morning I was seriously struggling to get out of bed...it was almost 11am and I had about 6 missed calls, a couple texts, and beluga updates questioning my whereabouts.  I was tired and tempted to sleep all day.  After about 15 minutes of just laying there, I got the energy to get up and get the body moving.  I called Rebecca and told her I was on my way over and then beluga chatted everyone that I was ok and alive.  Finally, I get to Aunt Marys and round up all the cousins. 

Earlier last week, Rebecca signed the both of us up for little 5k that my Uncle Dave's church put on so we had to rush over the hill to make it in time.  When we arrived, I was still feeling a little weak and un-motivated, so I chugged a cup of coffee and waited until the run was on its way.  What I realized was that this run was a part of the church's get "wholly fit"{mentally, physically, and emotionally} series and at the event today were two contestants from the biggest loser{father and son}. 

Not only was today's course amazing{all along the coastal trail of HMB}, but at the end of the race I got the opportunity to hear the two contestants speak about their experience on the show and their tremendous life changing transformations{from 400lbs to 200lbs}; I was in tears and so impressed by the two. 


I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason...and by no chance did I meet this wonderful family this afternoon.  What stuck with me the most, from today, was when Austin{the son} went up to speak.  He mentioned that his biggest struggle was that anytime things got too rough or hard for him, he would simply check-out or mentally quite.  This was something that I completely related to.  So many times in life, in particular experiences, I recognize myself checking-out and feeling detached to that situation.  I am fully aware that I do this, but justify to myself that it is easier than facing the problem itself.  The challenge Austin placed in front of me today is to experience life through every moment; check-in and be present!

Ken, Rebecca, Me, and Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment